Sunday, March 27, 2011

Scrap Box Sunday: Fabric Coasters

Welcome to the second Scrap Box Sunday!
(From now on the link party will be in a separate post, to keep things tidy!)

Today we're making scrappy coasters!

You will need:
* 4 squares of backing fabric
* 4 squares of sew-in interfacing (slightly smaller than the backing fabric)
* A stack of coordinating fabric scraps!
* Sewing machine, thread, scissors, iron, etc...


What to do:

Use your stack of scraps to plan out what your coasters are going to look like. I like to lay the pieces out on top of my backing fabric so I'm using the backing fabric as a size guide.


Remember to leave a seam allowance when you're cutting your scraps, and try to plan it so you can connect your scrappy pieces reasonably easily. For example, with this coaster, this is the order I would sew it together in:


Sew your scrappy pieces of fabric together and trim them into squares the same size as you're backing fabric.


Press the pieces, flattening the seams (I'm terrible at ironing aren't I??)


Put your backing fabric and scrappy piece together, right sides facing each other, and sew around three sides.

Remember to backstitch at both ends for strength.

(I can put pins in the right way around... sure.. *derpy*)

Clip the corners at a 45 degree angle so that when you turn it right side out, the corners are nice and crisp. Be careful not to cut your thread though.


Turn it right side out, push the corners out so they're nice and sharp, and press the coaster again.


Take your interfacing and slide it inside of your coaster. If you need to, trim the interfacing so it fits nicely and sits flat.


When the interfacing is in, you should have a bit of a gap between the interfacing and the edge of the fabric. 


This lets us roll the edges of the open side in, like so:


You might like to iron the edge down so make sure it stays folded in while you stitch.

Top stitch around the entire coaster, making sure you sew up the open edge.


Repeat these steps to make yourself a set of 4 coasters!
How's that for a scrap buster?
  

I need a cuppa now...


The next post hosts the link party, so go and enter your ideas! I'll feature some of my favourites of the first and second Scrap Box Sundays very very soon!


8 comments:

Ariel Tyler Henley said...

Those are adorable!! I am definitely going to have to steal that idea soon! :)
Lovely blog!

~Ariel at adreamersdaze.blogspot.com

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

cute!!! great colors :)

Anonymous said...

These are great! And for the record, I also have the same problems with ironing ... and putting the pins on backwards :)

Shabby Soul said...

So cute! I love scrappy crafts & these coasters are darling!

Jennifer said...

What a great way to use scraps!! I think I could make tons with the scraps I have!!
Thanks for the 'no-reply' tip! I'm going to check mine out right now....... :)

The Sunflower Patch said...

Thanks for the tute, I am always looking for new ways to use up my scraps. I found you through the Funky Fresh Fridays linky party!

Sylvia N. said...

Totally cute and simple directions! Thanks for the tutorial! I need to make some of these with the end of my stash!
Thanks for the blog and comment love! It made my day!

Sylvia N. said...

Blog *visit*.... my iPad can be possessed.....=)

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...