Friday, March 4, 2011

No-Sew Fabric Flowers Week (#5) - Tulle and Multi-Layered Flower

This flower reminds me of Carnivale! It's decadent with it's lovely tall layers.
It does need a little bit of hand sewing.


What you need:

  • Two coordinating scrap fabrics
  • Coordinating lace
  • Tulle netting scraps
  • A button
  • Needle and thread

What to do:

Cut a large circle from you fabric. You can trace around a lid, or do my dodgy trick of taking a fabric square, folding it in half and half again, then cutting the edge into a curve ;) Up to you!

You can see that my circle is definitely not perfect! But it works just fine for this! 

I would take more care and trace around a lid or plate or something if I was making a normal yo-yo :)



Just like when you make a normal yo-yo, stitch a running stitch around the circumference of your fabric circle, folding the edge under as you go. 

Again, if I were making a normal yo-yo I'd press the edge under carefully before making my running stitch, so it stays all nice and neat!


Pull the running stitch in tight, but do it carefully so you don't snap your thread.


OK, now I need to apologise - I forgot to take some photos here! *face palm*

First, make four petals like we did for flower #3 this week (petals and layers)

Next, cut a small circle of your lace (the black stuff is my lace ;))
Pop a dab of glue in the middle of the lace and press the middle so the circle is in quarters, just like in flower #2 (simple layered flower).

When the glue is holding the lace into the right shape, dab a bit of glue into one of the indents in the lace and press one of your petals into it. Repeat for all four petals. (Hope these pictures help explain what I mean!)


Cut yourself a circle of tulle.
(Yes, one is enough ;))


With the open side of the "yo-yo" facing up, glue the tulle to the centre.
Glue the lace and petal concoction we made earlier on top of the tulle. It should look vaguely like this:


Finish it off by gluing a button to the centre top.


You're done! I love this one - it might even be my favourite!


11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love it!! You're making it look so easy! I'm going to have to try some of your flowers! Thanks!
Ps. I'm featuring you in my new friday post.."Darling Day"! yay for blog love!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Hehe, they were great fun to make! I'll have to do a paper flowers week and a sewn flowers week some time in the future ;)

Thanks so much for featuring me, can't wait to read it!

Lisa Cash said...

I saw this on be different act normal. Love these! Sooo cute!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

beautiful.

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thank you for the lovely comments! <3

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

this is so pretty!!!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Adorable!!! I love it! Visiting from Sumo's Sweet Stuff and I am a NEW follower!
Hope you had a great Monday,
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thanks so much guys! I'm off to visit your blogs right now :D

April and Holly said...

So cute! I have a little girl and theses will look great on a headband! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

My pleasure! If you do make some, I'd love to see! :)

AllieMakes! said...

Those are lovely! Thank you for sharing the tutorial!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie last week! I can't wait to see what you have for this week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...