Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's Pet Week! ~ For Birds & Rodents: Hanging Toy

I've got an easy one for you today! But I didn't quite have the exact materials I needed to use, so please heed the warnings - they're important! 


What you need:


Materials:
* Pop sticks
* Cardboard tube
* Ribbon or sisal rope (sisal rope is better)
* Wooden beads (raw or non-toxic painted ONLY)
* S-hook or shower curtain ring

Tools:
* Drill (I didn't have one so I used a round-end file)
* Large needle (eye needs to fit your ribbon through)
* Stanley knife
* Scissors


Super important note: Be careful what ribbon and beads you choose! Use only raw wood or those painted with non-toxic paint. Remember, your pets are going to chew these up and might swallow some!

I only had varnished beads on hand, so I used them to demonstrate but I removed them before I let the ratties keep their new toy! Varnish can harm your pets!


What to do:

OK, so really today I'm just providing ideas for you, but feel free to collect any pet-safe bits and pieces and tie them into any combination! Your pets will love it!

This is what I did.

First, I made holes in the middle of 5 pop sticks and the end of 3 others using my "drill" (a file ;)). I cut a couple of pieces of cardboard tube off using my Stanley knife. I ended up using the two darker pieces.


I cut three strips of my ribbon.


And threaded a bead onto each one.

Don't use varnished beads like the ones shown here!
ONLY use raw or non-toxic painted ones!

I also knotted below each bead to hold it into place.


Cut one looooong piece of ribbon and thread your three top-hole pop sticks onto it.


Knot the ends so that the pop sticks are sort of in a circle.
Thread a bead up into the middle. This will help hold the three sticks apart a bit more.
Make a knot under the bead.


I added a piece of cardboard tube by threading the ribbon around one of the sides (I didn't knot it in). Then I added another wooden bead, knotting below that, and then another piece of cardboard tube.


Next I threaded the 5 centre-hole pop-sticks on, and tied a knot below them. Fan the pop sticks out into a circle.


Tie the three pieces of ribbon with the beads on the ends onto the bottom of your long ribbon, and you're finished!


It might not look like much, but I bet your pets will love it!


Mine certainly did!

Remember! Don't use varnished beads, it can be harmful to your pets! I removed them after I took the above photo :) The ratties had a tonne of fun with this toy even without the beads!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...