Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No-Sew Fabric Flowers Week (#3) - Petals and Layers Flower

OK, so this one requires a little tiny incy wincy bit of hand sewing! 
But you can do it, I know you can! ;)

What you need:
  • Fabric scraps in two coordinating prints
  • One button
  • Hot Glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Needle and thread
  • Optional: Brooch back
What to do:

Cut some petal shapes out of one of your fabrics. 
I'm lazy, so to do this quickly I fold my fabric like you would a paper fan, then fold the ends together (see the first photo). Then I trim the end into a curve and trim the long edges off so each petal is separate.




Next I cut each of the oval shapes in half.

Put a dab of glue in the middle of the flat end of the petal fabric, then press the edges together until the glue holds. This makes a petal shape :) Make lots of these!


Optional - I like to thread the petal shapes together because I find it easier to arrange them when I glue them down. You can just glue them straight down if you want :)

If you want to sew them, thread all of your petals (I used 10) onto a length of cotton thread, then sew the end back through the first petal to make a circle. Knot it off and trim the excess thread.


Because I threaded them together, I glued the centre button on now. If you glue you petals directly onto the main flower, you'll have to wait to glue your button down ;)


OK, let's make the main flower!

Take a long, thick strip of your other fabric then fold it in half.

Stitch a running stitch along the open end of the folded fabric. I used a contrasting thread to show what I'm doing, but you should use one that doesn't show up very much on you fabric (e.g. I should use black here).


Pull the running stitch so that the fabric strip is pulled into a circle, sort of like a yo-yo. Stitch through both ends of the fabric strip to hold them together, knot and trim any excess thread.


Now is when I glued the first part of the flower onto this main piece.
If you didn't stitch the petals together, now is when you'd glue them and the button on.

Slide the scissors inside the "yo-yo" and cut the two layers apart.


Take a few thin strips of the same fabric as you used for your petals. I only ended up needing two of these.


Run some glue in between the two layers of "yo-yo" and press your fabric strips inside, scrunching them up a little as you go to give them some texture.


Optional: Adding a brooch back

If you'd like to add a brooch back, run some glue around the middle back of your flower.


Press a rectangle of the same fabric onto the glued area.
Run some glue down the back of your brooch back and press it onto the fabric rectangle.


Get a second smaller rectangle of the same fabric and glue it to the inside of the brooch, like so:


Now you're done! Congratulations on your petalled and layered fabric flower!
Not completely no-sew, but it doesn't need too much ;)





2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute!!

Terra Heck said...

Thanks for the flower tutorials. I'll have to give it a try soon and see if I can make them.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...