Monday, February 28, 2011

No-Sew Fabric Flowers Week (#1) - Twisted Roses

As some of you may know, I've been a bit obsessed with paper and fabric flowers lately! I've been gathering inspiration left, right and centre, and have now created a few no-sew fabric flowers that I'm going to share with you! Well, at least no machine sewing. I'll do machine sewing ones a little later :)

Every day this week I will share a tutorial for one flower - sound good?

Today's tutorial is for Twisted Fabric Roses!
Actually, I'll share two variations :)


You'll notice that all of this week's flowers are in black and white, yum!

No-Sew Fabric Flower #1a - Plaited Roses

Acquire your materials:
  • 3 thin strips of your fabric (longer strips = larger flower)
  • 1 circle of your fabric (or matching felt if you wish)
  • Hot glue gun 

Tie your three strips of fabric together with a knot at one end. As close to the end as you can. 



  Plait your three strips of fabric and knot again at the other end. At one end, trim the excess fabric as close to the knot as you can.


Use your hot glue gun to stick some glue in the centre of your fabric circle.


Attach the trimmed knot end of the plait to the centre of the circle.


Spiral the plait around that central knot, a little bit at a time, working towards the outside. Pop down some glue, push the plait into place, and continue until you've spiralled around enough times to use up the plait. It should look like this:


Pop some glue on the side of your rosette, just before the knot. Press down the fabric.


Trim off the knot and press the end of the plait down.
If you need to, trim the edges of your fabric circle so they don't stick out around the edges of your rosette.


You're done! Now you can attach it to a brooch back, head band or other project!


No-Sew Fabric Flower #1b - Twisted Roses

Acquire your materials:
  • 1 thick strip of fabric (again, longer strip = larger flower)
  • 1 circle of your fabric (or matching felt)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Optional: Project to add your flower to!

Fold your fabric strip in half.


Roll the end around itself a couple of times, then glue it to the centre of your fabric circle.


Spiral the fabric strip around the centre, gluing and twisting the fabric as you do.


When you've used the entire strip, glue the end of the strip to the side of the rosette.


Trim off the excess from the fabric circle so that none shows around the edges of the rosette. You've made another rose! Stick it on one of your projects :)



Come back tomorrow for another no-sew fabric flower tutorial!


3 comments:

Brycie @ Reenie Jae Creations said...

LOVE it! I would have never thought to use 3 strips of fabric! :)


Bry

reeniejaecreations.blogspot.com

Are You A Mom said...

Hello,
I am your newest follower. Please stop by and say hi!I would love if you would follow back :) Areyouamom.com
Thanks and Have a great day!
Maureen

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thank you for the lovely comments beautiful people! I'm off to check out your blogs right now :D

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...