Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Trash to Treasure - from Grandma's House!

Grandma has decided it's time to move from her two storey home, with a huge shed and yard, into a much smaller unit in a retirement village. She's also decided that the family can help her by raiding her house and taking the bits and pieces they want for themselves, so we had a bit of fun on Monday "adopting" things that she didn't have room for and was going to throw away. I thought I'd share my new treasures with you!

First are these gorgeous old books. Now those lovelies are mine, miiiine! :D In the first picture, there's also a little spinning wheel pencil sharpener and tiny jug that were too cute to pass up!


I know you'll all think I'm really sad, but I looooove chooks! So I had to have this cloisonné style plate. Love!


How the book shelf is looking now, after all it's new additions:


My OH couldn't keep himself away from some of Grandpa's old reference books, and we nabbed a sturdy wooden crate that for now is housing a lot of the new books (sitting under the printer right now, no better home for it at the moment but I couldn't pass it up!)


I found a great shadow box shelfy thing (oh I'm awesome at technical terminology!) and since no-one else laid claim, it's now organising my fabrics! I'll sand it back and paint it at some stage. I also nabbed some matt antique gold coloured chain, but I forgot to take a photo. It's very sturdy, the links are soldered together, and it's just beautiful! So will definitely be making some jewellery out of that!


We also inherited a lovely little side table made by my Great Grandfather. It's French polished and needs a little touch up, but I'm not brave enough to do anything to it just yet. I'm going to make a runner for the top of it to keep it protected. Excuse the candleless candle holder ;) The entire house is a work in progress!


Aaaaand I finally got around to putting those blue paper flowers in a vase!


Pride of place on top of the T.V. cabinet ;)


4 comments:

Sam | Away She Went said...

It looks like we both got to raid our grandparents' houses this week! I love the old books and side table. What great pieces!

Blog Buttons said...

Hi, I'm hopping over from Sassy Sites and I'm happy to be a new follower of your lovely blog. hugs Katherine

Sassy Sites! said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi! Thanks for linking up at our Sassy Sites NEW friend party! It's so fun to meet lots new blog friends! I'm excited to be a follower of your cute blog now too! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments, it's great to have you here! :D We did a second raid of Grandma's place today and I snagged more fabric than I've ever owned in my life, LOL! And some other bits and pieces for sewing and craft - can't wait to use it all!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...