Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Whip It Up Wednesday: Anthro Inspired Violet Post Earrings

Last week I shared my version of Anthro's Tiny Tea Rose Posts, this week is similar but we're doing Violet Post earrings this time! I'm only using materials I have on hand for all of these :)


The Inspiration:

The Knock-Off:

What You Need:
* Polymer clay (Dark blue, green, white)
* Clear seed beads
* Aerosol varnish/glaze
* Toothpick
* Clay cutting blade
* Earring post blanks
* Super glue
* Bead glue
* Oven :D


What To Do:

Blend some white and green to get a nice shade of green (as I explained last week ^_^), and take a hunk of your dark blue. Kneed both colours until malleable.


Cut off portions so that you have ten small balls of blue and  four ovals of green. This is for a pair of earrings :)


Flatten three of the blue balls into circles and arrange them as shown below, then use your toothpick to join the three circles in the middle.


Flatten two more balls of blue and join them gently to the back of your piece, like so:


Repeat to make a second earring piece.

Flatten your green ovals and pinch the ends to make leaf shapes, then gently attach them to the back of your flowers, in the position shown here:


Put these on some baking paper on a tray, and bake according to the instructions on the clay packet.

When the earring pieces have baked and cooled, you could use some black acrylic to highlight the centres of your flowers. I plan to try this next time, but forgot this time! Oops! You can also spray the pieces with varnish or some other kind of glaze to make them nice and shiny. I at least remembered to do this, but forgot to take a photo *facepalm*

When everything is dry, pop a dab of bead glue in the centre of each piece and sprinkle your seed beads into the glue.


I used super glue instead of bead glue without thinking, and ended up with a yucky opaque coating on my beads :( So use bead glue, hot glue or something else! Not super glue XD


Use super glue to attach your earring post blanks to the back of each clay piece.


You're done! Here's the obligatory black and white photo of me showing off my new earrings ;)


Linking up at Sunburnt Cow


18 comments:

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Wow - fantastic knock-off! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Jennifer said...

This might be my favorite thing you've done! Awesome!

Kellianne said...

So beautiful! The violets are just too cute--what a creative idea, and completed so beautifully--great job!!

Ashley said...

So cute! I love being able to create knock-offs--especially when I probably wouldn't spend the full amount on the originals. Thanks for the inspiration!

Natasha said...

Those look great! I love antro inspired tutorials! Their stuff is so cute but way too expensive. I think I may need to go get me some clay!

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

These look great! I've only made one attempt at working with polymer clay and it was pitiful.

Jill said...

What gorgeous little earrings - Polymer clay stuff is on my 'to try' list! Maybe next school holidays, then my girls can try too!
Great tutorial! And I love those black and white (with colour) photos!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Gorgeous knock off, Rissa! They look as good as the original. Great job!

Alison Agnew said...

these little earrings are so sweet...and they look adorable on...thanks for linking them up to fridays unfolded!

alison
stuff and nonsense

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! You really did a great job!

Vasu said...

beautiful.....love the colour

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu

Kristina said...

Wow, those are cute! If my ears were pierced I'd be making myself a pair in a hurry!

c.w.frosting said...

Awesome knockoff! Sad that my ears aren't pierced anymore.

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

Tasha Anderson said...

Darling! I love them! Love that polymer clay. So versatile. Following you now! Can't wait to look around;:)
Come by and visit!
www.frugaliciousme.com
XOXO,
Tasha

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Love these just as much as the other pair! Very adorable :)


Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again this week :)

Unknown said...

so pretty! I've always liked purple. Thanks for linking up, doll! Have a fab weekend!

Screaming Sardine said...

Rissa -

You're getting to be the expert on Anthro inspired knockoffs! Great job - as usual. :)

Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunburnt Cow link party. I featured you at All Thumbs Crafts.

Cheers,
Tracy

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

they look so like the real thing! you did a great job with this knock-0ff!
gail

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...