Sunday, May 8, 2011

Scrap Box Sunday: Doily Bowl

So perhaps you don't actually have doily "scraps" lying around your house, and perhaps I went and bought my supplies especially to try this project out, but this is sort of "Part 1 of 2" and I have a very scrap busting and cool version to show you next Sunday! So stick with me for now ;)

What you need:

* A crochet or lace doily
* Three plastic bowls (two should be the same size)
* Cling wrap [plastic wrap]
* Fabric stiffener 
I used "Stiffy" *snicker* is that word not funny in the U.S. or something?
Why would anyone ever name their innocent craft product Stiffy?! Anyhoooo..!



What to do:

Shake your bottle of fabric stiffener well and pour some into one of your plastic bowls.

Grab your doily and soak it thoroughly with fabric stiffener. Squeeze out any excess liquid.


Turn one of your bowls upside down and cover it in plastic wrap! I forgot to cover mine and it worked out OK but it's really much easier to pry off your bowl later if there's plastic wrap in between ;)

Put your fabric stiffener soaked doily over your plastic wrapped bowl and centre it nicely. Or whatever fancy smancy positioning you want to do, really!


Get another plastic wrapped (oops again) bowl and put it over the top, so that your doily is held firmly between two bowls.


I want my "ruffles" to hang downwards when this dries, so I'm standing my bowl upright. You can use a doily that is smaller than your bowls or trim off the overhang, then you wouldn't have any ruffles at all. I like this though ;)


Leave this sitting until you can feel the ruffles are crispy and dry. This can take quite a while, especially for thick fabrics like my doily! When dry, remove the outside bowl. The rest of the doily will still feel soaked. That's fine! Leave it sitting upside down until the rest of it dries.


When it all feels dry, pull it off the bowl and you're done! :D


Now the only problem is deciding what to put in it..!


Happy Mother's Day!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to try this....I made a nest from shredded brown paper at Easter using similar techniques...Thanx for sharing! Tiffany

Jennifer said...

Very cool! And yes "Stiffy" is an interesting product name!!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Rissa, this is lovely! Thanks for linking this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. It's a great Mothers' Day present for me :)

Jill said...

What a neat idea!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

so creative! thanks for sharing! You are also one of this week's top picks! votation starts today!

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...