Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tutorial - Cameo Brooch

For Christmas I decided to make my Great Aunty a brooch. I'm decent at making stuff for people my own age and mum's age, but not so confident when it comes to making things for people of the grandparental variety. I think this time I've got it right - see what you think!


I was on a bit of a tight schedule and no local craft stores had cameos or appropriately lacey settings for such things, so I improvised and bought two sets of earrings from one of the jewellery stores nearby. I already had a bunch of Swarovski and other crystals in the soft, peachy pinks I wanted to use and my trusty bottle of gemstone glue. So first, assemble materials!


Next I cut the earring bars from the back of the two earrings using wire cutters and filed the stumps down so they were smooth and wouldn't scratch or catch on anything. I also undid the jump ring holding the little bow to the cameo setting, so I could place the bow differently in the finished piece.


After that, all there is to do is lay it all out how you want and glue it together! The gemstone glue dries clear so you can't see it at all when it's completely dry. Still, it's a good idea to wipe away excess glue with a damp cloth.

One thing I did find helpful was to place a small rectangle of medium weight interfacing between the two earring pieces and glue each earring piece to that. It gave it a better surface to hold to and is nice and sturdy. I did the same when adding the brooch pin to the back, you can see it here:


The finished brooch is quite large, but I think my aunt will like it! You don't have to massacre earrings to make these, you can order unset cameos and lace backings online (I love some of the ones on Etsy!) or you might be lucky enough to have a craft or beading store nearby that stocks the materials!


Merry Christmas!



4 comments:

Humble Homemaker said...

This is so cute! Forget grandparents... I want one! The cameo is great and you did a lovely job. Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
Humble Homemaking

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

This is so cute!! I think you did a great job and she will love it. I even love it, and I'm not old. Hehe :)

PS: I'm doing my first every giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to come enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Oh duh. I already invited you to my giveaway. Haha. Stupid me. Thanks for entering!!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Hehe Rebecca, I think I've already entered it! If not, I'll definitely get involved!

Thanks for the lovely comments on the brooch - I hear that it went down well :D

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, they make my day! Please let me know what you think or any ideas you have for me, I would love to hear them!

Before you comment - are you a 'no-reply' blogger? If you are, I can't email a reply to your comment! I really would love to be able to! If you want to change this, go to your dashboard, click "Edit Profile", tick "show my email address" and save!

I'd really love to be able to email you back! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...